We're in Amsterdam, so, today we're making Buttercake!
2 cups (10 oz, 280g) all purpose flour
1 cup (8 oz, 224g) superfine sugar (see note)
1/4 teaspoon table salt
2 sticks (8 oz, 224g) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 egg, whisked
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line the bottom of a 9" tart pan or spring form pan with a parchment paper round.
2. In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Toss in the butter and use your fingers or the mixer paddle to work the butter into the flour until there are no large lumps of butter.
3. Remove 1 tablespoon of the whisked egg and set it aside. Add the rest of the egg to the dough and mix just until it comes together.
4. Press the dough into the prepared pan. Smooth until the top is level and flat.
5. Brush the reserved egg onto the top of the dough. Use a fork to create a lattice pattern on top of the dough.
6. Bake until the edges and top of the cake are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
7. Cool completely in the pan. Cut into 16 wedges to serve.